Yes, I do know December is a cornucopia of sugar cookies, pies, candy, and festive cocktails so you’re probably not too concerned with cutting calories or spending more time exercising this month. But when January comes and you’re still nursing a fat and sugar hangover you’ll thank me.
Truth is, we’re all likely to indulge a bit over this magical season but you can make these swaps and get a little extra calorie burn in so you can make room for your favorite holiday treats. SLASH 100 Too much merrymaking and the only tidings of comfort and joy you’ll find will be in a bottle of Tums. Make these switches and you can slash around 100 (or more!) calories.
- Try 12 oz. glass of skim milk instead of whole milk…slash 96 calories
- Eat 1 medium orange instead of drinking a 12 oz. glass of orange juice…slash 106 calories
- Enjoy 2 light beers for 2 regular beers…slash 100 calories
- Sip a cosmopolitan instead of a margarita…slash 350 calories
- Go red with a bloody mary instead of a pina coloda…slash 475 calories
- 1 oz. of baked potato chips vs. regular chips…save 90 calories
- 2 oz. of pretzels vs. 2 oz. potato chips…save 94 calories
- 2 Tbsp. onion dip and 1 oz potato chips vs. 2 Tbsp. hummus and 3 oz. baby carrots…save 125 calories
- 1 cup caramel corn vs. 94% fat-free microwave kettle corn…save 221 calories
- Spinach artichoke dip vs. tomato bruschetta…save125 calories
- 3 Pigs in a blanket aren’t so cozy when you compare them to 3 turkey meatballs…dodge 160 calories
- Where’s the crab in the crab cakes? Swap for 12 shrimp cocktail…dodge 235 calories
- Pass on the cute cheeseburger slider and opt for a beef skewer with veggies…dodge 290 calories
- 1 potato skin is loaded with saturated fat and sodium. Pop in a stuffed mushroom instead…dodge 100 calories
- Savor 1 slice of pumpkin over a piece of pecan…shave 200 calories
- Skip the 5 oz. piece of apple pie and eat 5 oz. apple crisp…shave 85 calories
- Choose a tiny slice of cheesecake or get more satisfaction from dipping fruit into dark chocolate fondue…shave 230 calories
- Choose a piece of dark chocolate candy over 1 chocolate truffle…shave 128 calories
Burn Off 100 Calories!
On those crazy days when your list is endless and you think you can’t get in your normal fitness routine check out these options. Chances are these activities are already part of your holiday- to-do list.
- Rockin’ around the Christmas tree (dancing) for 20 minutes
- 20 minutes of shoveling the snow off the walk for guests
- Walking through the mall with packages for 20 minutes
- 25 minutes of ironing pageant dresses and recital dress shirts
- Vacuuming the house for party guests for 25 minutes
- Climbing up and down the stairs to retrieve the Christmas lights for 15 minutes
- 30 minutes of putting up lights and hoofing it up to the roof to secure Santa
- Painting the guest room for Grandma for 20 minutes
- 13 minutes of Wii Tennis with the kids
You deserve some stress relief! Sweat it away in the sauna for 15 minutes.