To me, happiness is all about feeling good about yourself and creating the best version of yourself. It starts with feeling content and never comparing yourself to others. I believe one’s mindset can play a huge role. Therefore, from the moment you rise, you should try to think positive thoughts and focus on your blessings. You might say that’s easier said than done but remember, you are in control of the energy you put out. Here are a few tips to add more sunshine to your life:
- Be kind to yourself Don’t be so hard on yourself, instead take time to acknowledge your achievements. When you accomplish a personal goal, stop for a minute and dwell on it. Compliment yourself and relish the moment! Also remember to carve out time for yourself, schedule a spa service for yourself, or take a hot bubble bath.
- Listen to your favorite music I love different genres of music and I’m amazed by the energy it adds to my day. One of music’s energizing effects comes from its ability to engage the body’s sympathetic nervous system. The activation of this system readies the body for action whenever we face a challenge in our lives. I encourage you to create a playlist that includes some of your favorite music. One of my current favorites: Believer by Imagine Dragons. Each time I hear this song, I feel empowered, inspired, and encouraged. Don’t have time to create a playlist? Crank up the radio!
- Expand your interests Life can often become boring. Spice it up by stepping outside your comfort zone. Try a hobby you’ve always been afraid of, get lost in a good book, join local groups that share your interests, or go to a random festival. Each will allow you to learn something new and meet new friends.
- Dress to feel your best Each day take time to select outfits that make you feel good. Doing so will make you feel optimistic about yourself. I love bright colors and have always enjoyed creating my own style. Check out the latest fashion magazines at your local library or bookstore to see what’s trending now and add your personality to it!
- Go outdoors Schedule time to step outside to clear your head and elevate your sense of well-being. Its also a great escape and will make you feel better instantly. To switch-up your daily routine, try starting or ending your day outdoors. This change can allow you the opportunity reflect on what makes you happy.
I hope you find these tips helpful, and I encourage you to incorporate them into your lifestyle.
Kimberly Whitfield is the owner of Kimberly Inspiring Beauty in Strength, a fitness instructor at Go Workout Fitness Center and Trinity A.M.E. Church; a bodybuilder, and a public speaker. Visit her on the web at kwinspires.com for a list of her classes.